Meet a top Showaround local - Manow from Bangkok
1. To start with, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?
My name is Manow. I am originally from Northeast Thailand. However, I have been living in Bangkok for over 20 years. I graduated in English (International Communication) and I love to travel. In addition to travelling extensively throughout Thailand, I have visited most of the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries as well.
I love to try new things and I am also a licensed tour guide in Bangkok. I am polite, friendly, helpful, and very honest with my fellow travellers. I am proud to show everyone how beautiful Thailand is and how wonderful it is to travel here.
6 years ago I started using Showaround to meet new people and practice my English skills. I did that for free! However, over time as I improved, it started helping me professionally. I like Showaround because I get to meet new people from different nationalities, languages, and cultures. Over the years, I have also made some good friends through this platform.
2. Tell us about your favorite place in Bangkok. What is special about it?
My favourite place in Bangkok is “Indy Night Market”. I like it because it’s a place where people gather for food, drinks, shopping, etc. Whenever I am hungry and don't know what to eat, I often go there since there are so many options. It is an amazing place for hanging out with friends as well.
3. What’s one thing that visitors can find surprising when coming to Bangkok for the first time?
Street food. It’s positively surprising for visitors because street food is everywhere and it's very easy to find. Not only is it available until very late but most of the time travelers can find food easily within walking distance of their hotel. Additionally, convenience stores and groceries are easily accessible, which tourists enjoy.
4. If you had to choose a song that gives off the vibe of Bangkok, what song would it be?
“Till It Hurts” by Yellow Claw
5. What’s the one place that you would definitely recommend every traveler to check out? (Perhaps a relatively unknown spot that you think is underrated and deserves more attention?)
One such place is the “Wang Lang Market”. For those who come to Bangkok looking for Thai street food and market experience, Wang Lang Market should be high on the must-visit list. It is well known by locals but most tourists do not know about it. When I was in college, I went there quite often with my classmates to find something to eat. It was fun and the food was good and cheap.
Wang Lang is on the Thonburi side of the Chao Phraya River and next to the Siriraj Hospital. Besides food, you will find lots of clothing stalls as well. I highly recommend visiting the place during your stay in Bangkok.
6. On the other hand, is there a popular tourist place that you would actually recommend travelers to skip?
Nana, it is an adult-only place, so if it is not the company of a lady that you are looking for, it can easily be avoided.
7. Finish these sentences about Bangkok:
- I’ve had the tastiest coffee at “Breakfast Story” in Phrom Phong.
- The best place to grab lunch is “Sook Siam” at the Icon Siam mall.
- On weekends I love spending my time at the “Indy Night Market”.
- The best spot for pictures/selfies would be “Talat Noi”.
- If I wanted to relax, I would go to the “Lumphini Park”.
- The best time to visit Bangkok is from November to February.
8. How did you discover Showaround?
9. Tell us about your best Showaround experience.
My most memorable experience with Showaround was when I hosted 2 sisters from Vietnam. Since they had limited time we didn't travel much, however, it was fun to go to the local market to buy food, eat on the way back home, and share personal experiences.
Later, I went to Vietnam where we met again. They were very welcoming and invited me to their place. We ate together, danced in a nightclub, and made new friends. It was such a good and fun experience. I make new friends and meet new people through Showaround.
10. Do you have any tips for other locals who are just starting out?
Always be yourself, friendly with everyone, and cautious from time to time.
Book a tour with Manow.