1. To start with, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?
My Vietnamese name is Truc, but you can call me Anna!
I started working as a local tour guide on 2018 and I have been doing it since. This is my passion job because I love sharing what's most beautiful about Viet Nam with everyone. I usually spend a lot of time exploring my country to provide a great experience for travelers. Each place has its own stories and mysteries that I want to share with you. In my free time, I often sing in pubs and work as an event organizer.
2. Tell us about your favorite place in Ho Chi Minh City. What is special about it?
One of the most impressive buildings is the Municipal Theatre of Ho Chi Minh city or the Saigon Opera House.
This fine example of French colonial architecture was built in 1897. Initially an 800-seat theatre, it served as a house of the Assembly of the Lower House of South Viet Nam until 1956, but it was reverted to the Opera House in 1975. It situated in front of the famous Caravelle Hotel which was once home to foreign correspondents during the war.
3. What’s one thing that visitors can find surprising when coming to Ho Chi Minh City for the first time?
Southern Viet Nam extends from the pulsating economic center of Ho Chi Minh City southward to the Mekong Delta. The city is one of the main air gateways and because of the country's geography, many visitors arrive here, then head north and fly home from Hanoi.
4. If you had to choose a song that gives off the vibe of HCM City, what song would it be?
Hello Vietnam is the song that gives you the vibe of Ho Chi Minh city.
One day I'll touch your soil
One day I'll finally know your soul
One day I'll come to you
To say hello... Vietnam
5. What’s the one place that you would definitely recommend every traveler to check out? (Perhaps a relatively unknown spot that you think is underrated and deserves more attention?)
Mekong Delta. One of Asia's great rivers, Mekong, ends its 4,350km (around 2,703 miles) long journey from its source in China's Tibetan Plateau when it flows into the South China Sea east off Vietnam. Being the world's 12th-longest river, it is a valuable resource for millions of people in China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam who live near it. Lush green vegetation and crops line the flat landscape crisscrossed with streams and backwaters.
6. On the other hand, is there a popular tourist place that you would actually recommend travelers to skip?
Ben Thanh Market selling fresh produce and food is an important part of the city's landscape.
Built by the French as a municipal marketplace, it now offers an extensive selection of local souvenirs, fresh produce, imported goods, and tasty treats. However, due to its popularity, the price of souvenirs here is somewhat higher, and when you buy it, you have to bargain with the seller. You can come to visit Ben Thanh market and eat but should buy souvenirs at Saigon Post Office. Because the products at Saigon Post Office are sold at the listed price and the local price.
7. Finish these sentences about Ho Chi Minh City:
- I’ve had the tastiest coffee at a local coffee shop on the street.
- The best place to grab lunch is Quan Bui Garden.
- On weekends I love spending my time at home because I work every day during the week.
- The best spot for pictures/selfies would be in the Walking Street or the Opera House.
- If I wanted to relax, I would go to eat street food, drink some craft beer, or have a vacation at Da Nang or Phu Quoc Island.
- The best time to visit HCM City is January to June and October to January.
8. How did you discover Showaround?
I started looking for a part-time job as a local tour guide back in 2018 and was recommended this website by a friend. A pretty cool and simple-to-use app that caught my attention, and helped me reach more travel friends.
9. Tell us about your best Showaround experience.
It's the overall experience that I have of the cultural exchange and meeting all the travelers from around the world who visit Vietnam. As a local tour guide, I have traveled all over Vietnam with people who love my country, sharing experiences, culture, history, lifestyle, and signature dishes.
10. Do you have any tips for other locals who are just starting out?
You should prepare an open mind and an empty stomach to explore my country and try all the best local food and craft beer in here. I'll support you as well as a local guide to give you the best way to explore my country!
Book a tour with Anna.