1. To start with, could you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hello, my name is Mariam, born and raised in Cairo, Giza.
I have completed my Veterinary Medicine studies at Cairo University. On the other hand, I have extreme passion and interest in tourism, which represents my culture! I enjoy every part of it - learning new things, meeting new people, having friends around the world and making a difference by well introducing my country, culture and history to others. Moreover, I love reading and I enjoy playing table tennis and cycling.
2. Tell us about your favorite place in Giza. What is special about it?
Egypt, especially Giza and Cairo, are full of magical historical places.
The Great Pyramids and the Sphinx, Dahshur Pyramids and Sakkara Pyramid, the Egyptian Museum, the Civilization Museum , the Castle, Al Moez street, Khan El Khalily and the Religious Complex in Old Cairo. For me, I am still admiring them every time I go there! All of them are my favorite places.
3. What’s one thing that visitors can find surprising when coming to Giza for the first time?
I believe that the Pyramids and the Sphinx make a special and magical impression to your heart and mind. Whatever you have seen in documentaries, pictures, videos, or in a real tour, you would be surprised and fall in love with them at the first sight. In addition, the visitors are surprised by the delicious Egyptian food, such as Koshary and Falafel. Also, the way of driving cars and passing the roads, as the Egyptians have a unique way in that!
4. If you had to choose a song that gives off the vibe of Giza, what song would it be?
Ya Habibty Ya Masr is my best song which expresses that.
5. What’s the one place that you would definitely recommend every traveler to check out? (Perhaps a relatively unknown spot that you think is underrated and deserves more attention?)
Mohammad Ali Palace at Al Manial. It is full of mixed historical legacies and it has a very beautiful garden.
It is really a nice place to feel relaxed while watching the history!
6. On the other hand, is there a popular tourist place that you would actually recommend travelers to skip?
In fact, I do recommend to feel free to discover all the places and have a great experience here. No place should be skipped! Every place would represent the beauty of Egypt and Egyptian culture. Moreover, Egyptians are nice and friendly people and you will feel secure wherever you go.
7. Finish these sentences about Giza:
- I’ve had the tastiest coffee at Nile river.
- The best place to grab lunch is Sobhi Kaber Restaurant.
- On weekends I love spending my time on classical Nile tours.
- The best spot for pictures/selfies would be Al Moez street.
- If I wanted to relax, I would go to Al Azhar garden.
- The best time to visit Giza is all around the year, as the weather in Egypt is always warm and stable, but mostly better in Autumn and Spring.
8. How did you discover Showaround?
My brother recommended it for me after he had discovered my burning passion for tourism. He has been using Showaround for years through his journeys all over the world.
9. Tell us about your best Showaround experience.
I have enjoyed and I am still enjoying every tour as if it was my first time to show around. Every time I feel it is unique. I make friends from everywhere in world! I never get bored.
10. Do you have any tips for other locals who are just starting out?
Be kind, honest, intelligent, wise, respectful, generous, friendly and funny. Let them feel secure and at home, just as if you were a member of their family.
Book a tour with Mariam.